2020 brought in a wave of new gardeners, growing nationally from 42 million to 63 million gardeners (Mike Sutterer, CEO of Bonnie Plants). Research predicts these gardeners are here to stay for 2021 and gardening trends for the year are beginning to develop within the growing community. Here are the predicted top five trends in the gardening industry for 2021:
- Outdoor Living Areas – With more time being spent at home, it’s no surprise that bringing the inside outside has become incredibly popular. Converting outdoor space into lounge and living areas is a great way to create a space to gather and relax in the comfort of your own home. Add a fire pit or string some lights to make your space feel cozy and welcoming.
- Gardening Basics – With all of the newbies joining the gardening community this past year, there is a demand to go back to the basics. Gardening basics (such as soil, fertilizer, pests, and diseases) will be a hot topic of conversation in 2021 as new gardeners are looking to learn and improve their skills.
- Gardening Sustainability – The movement around gardening sustainability has continued to gain support and gardeners are looking to make their gardens more environmentally friendly. Practices such as conserving water, making your own compost, using organic methods, and planting native plants are gaining popularity and gardeners are continuing to learn and improve in the upcoming year.
- Learning and Buying Online – As the world shifted online in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, as did the garden industry. The popularity of looking to online platforms is expected to carry into 2021, as gardeners needs safe and efficient ways to keep up with their garden. 2021 is predicted to be a big year in moving online, not only to make purchases for the garden, but also to connect with gardening communities and learn from each other!
- Social Media for Garden Centers – For years, social media has provided the opportunity to connect, learn, and be inspired. Social media platforms will continue to trend in this upcoming year, as people look to social media to meet a variety of needs. With the shift to learning and buying online, it is critical for garden centers to establish an online presence within the gardening community.
With plenty on the horizon for the gardening industry, it’s helpful to stay on top of trends and popular practices. Oster and Associates can help keep you up to date on these trends and make sure you are equipped to market effectively and successfully within the industry. Reach out to our marketing team today for a free consultation!